Chick lit check list:
- fiction that explores the issues of modern womanhood - well, not so much, I guess. It is set in the late 1800's.
- features young adult women who are primarily career driven - almost all of the protagonists in this novel are young adult women, so that is covered. Are they career driven? Tricky question. Considering that a woman's career in the upper class of the day was to marry well, then I'd say yes.
- protagonists that are addicted to shopping and how they look - well, that's a resounding yes. Imagine having a servant whose entire job description was 'make me look good'. Corsette's and dressmakers who bring the fabric to you and then make sure you have the perfect dress for any occasion. How come we don't do that anymore?? (well, not the corsette part)
- romantic plotline oh, more than one. The book is totally stuffed full of them!
- written by a woman for women that's an easy yes.
- post-feminist even not really knowing what the heck this means, I think I can confidently say no. Pre-feminist more like.