Chick lit check list time (I'm starting to think I'll be glad when May is over)
- fiction that, often humourously, explores issues of modern womanhood (whatever they are) Marriage, children, death, divorce, infertility, and above all love, laughter and enjoyment of life. Definite yes on this point.
- features young adult women who are primarily career driven Is almost 40 truly still young? As a 40+ woman myself, I'm going to say yes. While the career in question may be 'stepford mom', the ladies in the novel are definitely driven to succeed at it.
- follows protagonists that are addicted to shopping and how they look $150 a week for a personal trainer to come to the house, for an hour of one-on-one torture, just to be able to fit into that size small dress - and How Much? for the dress?? A definite yes here as well.
- may or may not include a romantic plot line Every single plot line in this novel is romantic. Not the down and dirty, steamy explicit sex kind of plot that tries to pass as romantic, but deep down, real life, romantic
- written by women for women yes ma'am
- 'post-feminist' (any ideas on what that might be??) OK