Take two uber-smart teenage girls from Toronto, put them in London for the summer with one anthropologist aunt, one uber-smart and uber-hot teenage geek, add an ancient druid curse and what do you get? You get Lesley Livingston's new book 'Once Every Never'.
How can you miss with a combination like that? There is lots of smart, sarcastic humour from all sides just to add a little more fun. I couldn't stop myself from reading parts out loud to my daughter and she loved it. At one point she said 'What I love about this author is that she writes everything you would like to say.'
Clare is just an ordinary teenage girl. She is into boys and clothes and shopping and is not so into museums and history and bog men and stuff. Well, she wasn't into all that stuff until all that stuff showed a big interest in her - especially the uber-hot bog man - before all the bog mummification stuff happened. My girls taught me, when they were teenagers, that if the boys are in two different time zones it's not considered cheating. Hot bog man (pre-bog) and hot geek are definitely in two totally different time zones!! (that's a little foreshadowing) 'Once Every Never' is packed full of adventure with a little romance thrown in for good measure.
Here's the tricky part. The book was a really fun, quick, easy read that will appeal to teenage girls everywhere, but I wish some thing had been done differently. It has to do with the ending and I can't say what it is without dropping a honking big spoiler which I don't want to do. Not that the ending was bad or anything, there's just one part I wish had been handled differently. I guess you'll have to read the book to figure out what that one part was.
Want more? Check out the rest of the tour for more reviews, author interviews and giveaways!
- Burning Impossibly Bright http://burningximpossiblyxbright.blogspot.com/ June 20
- Not Your Faerytale http://notyourfaerytale.blogspot.com/ June 21
- Let's Book It http://letsbookit.blogspot.com/ June 22
- He Followed Me Home http://hefollowedmehome.blogspot.com/ June 23
- In the Next Room http://inthenextroom.blogspot.com/ June 24
- A Cupcake and a Latte http://www.mochalattereads.blogspot.com/ June 27
- Wicked Lil' Pixie http://wickedlilpixie.com/ June 28
- Evie Bookish http://www.evie-bookish.blogspot.com/ June 29
- Escape Through the Pages http://thekams.wordpress.com/ June 30
- YA Bookie Monster http://yabookiemonster.blogspot.com/ July 1
- Snowdrop Dreams of Books http://snowdropdreams.blogspot.com/ July 4
- Tynga's Reviews http://www.tyngasreviews.com July 5
- The Queen of All Wild Things http://www.queenwild.ca/books/ July 6
- Lost for Words http://lostforwords-corrine.blogspot.com/ July 7
- Lavender Lines http://lavenderlines.wordpress.com/ July 8