23 April 2012

Challenges

Yikes! I am running so far behind on my 2012 challenges! So in an effort to catch up a bit, I am going to spend some time today on the 2012 picture book challenge 'An Illustrated Year'.

First up: Too Many Dinosaurs by Mercer Mayer

Mercer Mayer has long been one of my favourite children's authors but in this book he grows up a little. The illustrations are very detailed, colourful and the children look older than what I think about when Mercer Mayer is mentioned. The boy in this book wants a puppy but Mom says 'No!' So he goes off to a yard sale and picks up a dinosaur egg instead. Of course the dinosaur egg hatches and all heck breaks loose. You can never go wrong with anything Mercer Mayer has written and illustrated and Too Many Dinosaurs is no exception to that rule. Enjoyable on every level.

Second on todays list: Papa, do you Love Me? by Barbara M. Joosse Illustrated by Barbara Lavallee

Set in Africa, this book is full of cultural references and style. Not to worry, though, there is a glossary in the back that explains any unfamiliar words and activities. The illustrations are simple but colourful and engaging. The story of a young boy asking if his papa would still love him in a number of situations transcends cultures and all children will be able to relate to the feelings expressed. A fun and heartwarming story with the added benefit of teaching about African culture.

Last but not least: Naamah and the Ark at Night by Susan Campbell Bartoletti illustrated by Holly Meade

The author's note at the end of this book explains the style of writing used to write this lullaby. The style is inspired by an Arabic form of poetry dating back to at least the seventh century, called ghazal (pronounced like guzzle) It makes for a lovely, rhythmic feel as we read about Noah's wife singing the ark to sleep at night. The illustrations feel like cutouts pasted together to make pictures and are soothing rather than bold in colour.  Naamah and the Ark at Night is a perfect bedtime book.

3 comments:

  1. I love children books and, yet, I hardly read them anymore. Maybe if I ever get married and have kids to read to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about this challenge. My kids are grown and I miss picture books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I am doing really well on one challenge (the historical fiction one) and really bad on the rest! I need to get it together!

    ReplyDelete

Here's your chance to voice your opinion. We all have them. I'd love to hear yours. I try to respond to all comments so please check back if you are interested in that.