5 September 2011

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline

Sometimes I eschew the pile of books I have promised to review for authors and publishers and I go to the library and pick up an offering written by an old favorite. Sometimes it is fun to read a book just for fun, knowing you are under no obligation to review it. Somehow, I always end up reviewing it anyway. Those are the events that have brought us to this point - a review of Lisa Scottoline's 'Look Again'.

Are you one of those people who looks at the faces in the ads for missing children? I am. So is Ellen Gleeson. Someday maybe I will recognize the face of a child in the neighbourhood and be instrumental in reuniting a child with his/her family. Never would I expect to see the face of my own child staring back at me. Ellen didn't expect it either, but there it was. The boy in the poster looked exactly like her son, Will. The reporter in her wouldn't let Ellen rest until she had explored the possibilities - and what she discovered is the stuff of every mother's nightmares.

If you have read any of Lisa Scottoline's other books, you will know that she is eminently readable. Her style includes a lot of dialog and short chapters. I read the book in one sitting. Partly because of the writing and partly because I got so caught up in the mystery. There were lots of twists and turns, lots of roadblocks to get through and just when you think you've got it solved ... well, you don't.

The ending bothered me a little just because I am not a fan of pat endings. On the other hand I was pleased with Ellen's generosity and heart at the end and all through the book. Just an excellent read.


/5      

Character Development          5

Editing                                     5

Sex                                          0

Violence                                  1

Romance                                 4

Readability/Flow                    5





6 comments:

  1. I have heard mixed reviews on this one but I definitely want to read it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can get so caught up in reviewing books I forget to enjoy myself. Sometimes it's nice to breathe, choose, grab some apple cider and cuddle on the chair and just read.

    Last book devoured just because I wanted too - Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook.

    PS - I love Lisa Scottoline, she's addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh oh! I have this one on my TBR list. I'm glad to hear it's good and recommended by you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Sometimes, I just have to get a library read that fits what I need at the time. I review every book I read though. I really don't read that many books so it works out I guess. This is definitely a read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I thinks it would scare me to death if it was my child face in the missing children's section. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally loved this book. It's believable from beginning to end. It had me smiling in some parts and crying in the rest. I couldn't put it down or quit talking about it when I wasn't reading. Loved all the twists and turns it took as you were reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Here's your chance to voice your opinion. We all have them. I'd love to hear yours. I try to respond to all comments so please check back if you are interested in that.