7 April 2011

Heart of the Matter by Emily Griffin

OK - I have to say - not what I expected at all. From reading the book flap I thought I was getting one of those heart-wrenching stories about dying children and heart transplants. I was wrong. When I started this blog, I made myself a promise to avoid spoilers as much as possible. Because of that promise, I'm not going to tell you what I was wrong about. Sorry.

Heart of the Matter is written, in alternating chapters, by two women, Tessa and Valerie. It is the story of how their lives intersected one day in a tragic way and the fallout of bad choices and emotional decisions. That's all you get for story line.

Despite being thwarted in my expectations, I was moved by the reality of the book. It was one of those books where, when I had to put it down, I wondered what the characters were up to in my absence. As if they were real and I was somehow watching their lives through a magic window that allowed me into their thoughts and emotions. It was a compelling book. I have to admit that I started to get worried about 2/3 of the way into the book, that I would be horribly disappointed in the ending. Then I moved on to the thought that there was no way to end the story well. The ending was going to be bad! Having finished the book, I can tell you that I was, once again, wrong. The ending was deeply satisfying.

This was my first Emily Griffin book, it won't be my last!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's your chance to voice your opinion. We all have them. I'd love to hear yours. I try to respond to all comments so please check back if you are interested in that.